Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day Two

We left the house at 7 and managed to hit EVERY red light between here and Maplewood. Then we couldn't find the camp. Mapquest: more helpful than hurtful? Or more hurtful than helpful? Discuss. . . Happily, we saw tons of walkers and Mr. J, in his sherpa role, located the camp.





Tons of pink tents greeted us. We hurried by, as it was ten to 8, and all walkers had to be on the trail by 8.



This Ramsey County Sheriff wore a fluffy pink boa while directing traffic. We were fortunate to have law enforcement in good spirits today. We also had a number of fire departments on our route who were also quite fabulous in their vocal support. . .

This sign says, in part, 'No Fishing.' If you look to the left of the car, you might be able to see someone fishing, which Mad and I thought was hilarious (thus, the pic!). I used to represent these people when the DNR would go on a tear and issue a bunch of tickets. . . Ah, the good old days. . .



At lunch, I was surprised to discover that my foot WASN'T actually on fire inside my shoe and sock. . . But look! Not on fire.





Mad jammed her toe this morning, so she took the lunch break as an opportunity to wrap a couple of toes together. Then we got walking again.







This is Jody's couch. More on Jody's story here: http://www.rowekamp.com/whyiwalk.htm. The walk is an odd mix of emotions. One minute I'm wondering if I should be amused or annoyed by the fact that Mad isn't speaking to me - AGAIN, and the next I am confronted with a couch belonging to a woman who died while her children were young, like Jody. Or a laminated picture on a guy's backpack with a sign that says, "I miss my sister." Or two women my age, walking and chatting, with a post on their back pack that says, "We walk in memory of our friend Barb, 7-24-09."



Sadly, at mile 19, we had to admit Mad's leg pain might need to be looked at. It was designated a 'sports medicine issue' and we were referred to the doctor. He thinks Mad may have torn her calf muscle. He strongly encouraged us to ice and take the bus, in the hopes that she can walk some tomorrow. He is working on a 'boot' for her for tomorrow to stabilize things.
We are hoping and icing. . .






No comments: